Sunday 13 May 2007

Dad's birthday

It was my dad's birthday a few days ago. I always find cards for him a bit difficult as he doesn't have any of the typical hobbies to theme stuff around (football, golf etc). He's very practical though so wood and metal make good elements on cards for him and I knew I wanted to use my CraftRobo in making it as Dad gave me the money to buy it (just on a whim - wasn't that lovely of him?).



Woodgrain paper for the background came from The Papermill - I cut 'planks' and inked the edges for some depth. Lettering is cut with the CraftRobo and I've stuck a couple of layers together to give it more body. They're painted with gold acrylic paint and then dabbed over with Caramel Delight and Chestnut Whispers inkpads for a coppery effect. A final touch of Violet and Azure gave more of a weathered look. I love the way copper changes with the effects of heat and age.

The tag is a BossKuts ribbon slide with one end cut off, 'aged' with some inking and a light sprinkle of embossing powder to grunge it up. Stamped/embossed greeting from the Woodware Tiny Phrases set. I raised the D with tiny foam pads and tied the tag around it with jute string.



Dad liked it - that's the main thing!

9 comments:

Jackie said...

Thanks for the lovely comment Joanne. I never thought of the 'foodie' papers and the DCM dare. (doh!)
I can't see the pictures of your dad's card :(

Hazel said...

I can't see the pictures either - boo hoo!

Angelnorth said...

Hmmm, I can see them on two different computers so it can't just be that I have a local copy of the pic. I've edited the post and added them again in case that jogs Blogger into action!

Hazel said...

I can see the piccies now - great card - worth returning for a peep!

Dollydimps said...

That's a fab card-I couldn't see it before but it was worth the wait!

Kathy said...

oooooh I LOVE this card. The letters look fantastic in the gold paint and the tag is really neat tied onto the D like that. I bet he loved this one

Rhi said...

This is fab Joanne, Dad's cards are always difficult and this one is just brilliant.

stamp and scrape said...

The wood grain is very effective, and imaginative. Those letters are perfect!
Ros

Sam said...

Excellent card...good photography too by the way ;o) The letters look quite metallic!