Monday 2 July 2012

Heritage Haberdashery

Ooops - haven't blogged for ages! Off on holiday and then just not getting back into the swing of things, I'm afraid.

Today's project is something I made for the Tando Creative demo table at this weekend's Extravaganza at the Craft Barn. As it's the Olympics and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, we played with a red, white and blue colour scheme and a haberdashery theme for some samples. I used one of the printer's trays as the base and stamped and embellished at will!

I gave the frame the sort of "tarnished enamel" look you sometimes see on old sewing machines by painting with gold acrylic and then sprinkling lightly with black embossing powder.

Except for the two 1920s ladies, all the stamps are from the Darkroom Door Dressmaker set - a lovely set of vintage style images.

I cut the little bunting flags freehand and triple embossed the die cut lettering for a glossy, raised effect. All the images are coloured with Copics and the tiny buttons are ones I've had in my stash for years that were just the right scale for this.

I cut out the thread spools and used an embossing stylus to raise the top and bottom of each one. The scisssors are gold embossed, cut out and raised up on foam pads with some pins and a stamped thimble tucked in behind - you can probably see both those things more clearly if you click through to the bigger version of this detail shot.

This was my first go with a printer'stray - it's fun to collect lots of things together for all the apertures!

Stamps:
Dressmaker (Darkroom Door)
1920s ladies are from Haute Couture (Cornish Heritage Farms)

Ink:
Brilliance by Tsukineko (Graphite Black)
Adirondack by Ranger (Stonewashed)

Other:
Printer's Tray by Tando Creative
Copic markers
Embossing powder (detail black, detail gold, clear)
Mini buttons
Pearls
Tim Holtz Typeset alphabet die

If you had chance to get along to the Extravaganza for yourself I hope you enjoyed it!

Thanks for stopping by!

14 comments:

Paula Whittaker said...

Nice to see back Joanne - wonderful tray, beautifully decorated.

Kathy said...

This is lovely Joanne. What a great project

Deborah said...

Would never have guessed this is your first printer tray. It's fabulous! I like the black embossing powder on the gold - a clever touch!

Kath said...

A lovely piece of work. I also like the frame with black and gold.

Kaz said...

This is beautiful Joanne and, having seen it in the flesh, the detail is fantastic x

Carol Plume said...

what a great tray - its lovely to see the trays with such detailed background...xx

fatmonica said...

It's gorgeous!I love all the images and the colours you've used.

itsallrosi said...

this is gorgeous, Joanne!

Traceyr said...

This does look lovely Joanne. Love the home made bunting. :)

Unknown said...

Stunning Joanne - and I have missed your work.

I love the all the thought and detail that you have put into this - and what a fantastic and effect brainwave of using gold acrylic and embossing powder

I have had a tray for years and it's still in it's virgin state!

Pat Beaumont said...

great tray - it would look good in my sewing room/corner

Karen said...

I am so lucky that I got to have a look at this in real life! Its a gorgeous piece of work and so neatly done. It was admired by so many people Joanne xxx

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is amazing! It is right up my street and you have made such a great job of it!

Lucy x

Anonymous said...

Would have loved to go to the CB Extravaganza but it wasn't to be! Love what you have achieved with this one Joanne - who would have guessed it was your first? Beautiful detail and love the gold/black patina effect on the frame.

Lynn x