Wednesday 12 February 2014

Experimental hearts

I had a little play with various bits and pieces today. This week's MixAbility challenge at Splitcoast Stampers calls for the use of hearts (here) and the Pan Pastels challenge blog has another anything goes week with the option to join the DT in using fabric on your project (details here).

Very little stamping on here and more die cuts than I'd usually use! I started with two primitive hearts cut from mount board and lettering to spell the word LOVE (I cut the word twice and stacked the layers for a bit extra depth since Spellbinder dies don't cut thick materials). Then I covered the lot with double sided tape sheet and put fine-weave cotton fabric over it. I ran it through my Big shot with an embossing mat to make sure everything was stuck down well. I'd have liked a few more wrinkles in the fabric but never mind, the texture is still interesting!

Then I went to town with Pan Pastels and a charcoal pencil. The only stamping is some Hero Arts brush strokes stamped in the corners in Versamark and rubbed over with more pastel for slightly more intense colour. I left the edges of the fabric deliberately a bit frayed before sticking it to a card base.

I used my finger to apply the white Pan Pastel over the lettering as it seemed to give me most control.

What I learned - Mod Podge doesn't take Pan Pastel very well (I originally Mod Podged the fabric rather than using sheet adhesive); I love the look of fabric over die cuts; you need to make sure there's a support under the overhang of the second die cut to bring it to the same level as the other one before running it through the Big Shot. I'm also extremely pleased with my new fixative - it's a natural substance (based on casein, the protein found in milk and apparently the fixative preferred by Degas!) and it's in a pump bottle so there's no solvent smell or hazard if you're spraying indoors.

Materials:
Mount board offcuts
White cardstock
White cotton fabric
Primitive Hearts Bigz die by Sizzix
Spellbinders Font One dies
Pan Pastels (Turquoise, Permanent Red, Permanent Red Shade, White)
Charcoal Pencil
Brush Strokes stamps by Hero Arts
Versamark ink
SpectraFix Degas fixative spray

Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

Effie said...

Love that red and turquoise colour combo....

Kath said...

Super card, love the dramatic colours. Very striking.

Scrapmate said...

Lovely colours and an interesting new product.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love this card - it really looks 3D in the photos - gorgeous.

Traceyr said...

I love the deep red against the turquoise Joanne fab card. :)

Hazel said...

Beautiful, Joanne - very cleverly crafted x

Deborah said...

Stunning colour combination and composition. Fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Love the colour combination and the use of fabric especially over the die cut letters. Lovely card x

Lorraine said...

these cards are just lovely and elegant..thanks for visiting my blog

Anonymous said...

Fab card Joanne, love the colours and the effect the Pan Pastels give..x

Kathy said...

ooooh I really really love this card - fab colours, fab everything!